Thursday, February 18, 2010

i.have.a.problem

I just ate two cookies....hmmm, not ate....inhaled would be a better word. The problem is, I didn't even realize it. I seriously searched my whole desk and in my drawer for the other half of the second cookie. Maybe there's a cookie monster at work?? Maybe it's me?? Either way, it's a problem.

On a completely different note: I love tape. I'm not particularly biased as to what type-I like them for different reasons.

Duct tape is an obvious one.

I love the smell of scotch tape.

Masking tape is kind of sneaky- you think it isn't all that useful, but I once hemmed a skirt (ok, and a pair of pants too) using only masking tape when I got in a pinch at work (the pants was sheer laziness after such a good experience with the skirt.) The hem held for a good two years. Granted I don't wear and or wash the skirt super often, but I was still pretty impressed. I did some mending on Monday and decided it was finally time to end the masking tape madness....I'm pretty sure the skirt hem had at least another year in it. But, I thanked the tape and threw it away anyway and now have a pretty and "invisible" hem.

My mom used to have this thin pink hair cutting tape. Every few weeks she'd wet my bangs down (this was the 80's people-bangs were a BIG deal) and tape them down and cut away. The end result-perfectly straight bangs that were ripe for curling and hairspraying and teasing...never too short because we had to keep re-cutting them to get it straight. Incidentally, I tried this once on my own with scotch tape-definitely NOT the same!

I don't have a love affair with electrical tape, but I do see it's purpose.

How random of a post is this?? Sorry!

9 comments:

Shoshanah said...

Now, this is the Emily I remember!

Loved it!

Rachael Lippmann said...

Every time my mom had to hem something for choir is was done with some sort of tape. No one ever knew!

The Ormsby's said...

I too love the smell of scotch tape!!!

Unknown said...

I've never heard of haircutting tape.. hum I must be on a search to find such fun things :)

I personally like packing tape.... works wonders for holding stupid work projects up on unsuspecting model home walls. (and comes off without a hitch)

Who needs to mend when you have tape, it cuts the fixing problem time in half if not more, AND if it's going to last 2 years, I probably won't fit in it in 2 years so it sounds like a better investment to me

Texasholly said...

masking tape as a hem? genius! i have a pair of pants right now that the hem came out in the back and i haven't been able to wear them because of course i can't sew. thanks for the tip!

Kim and Jim said...

I'm definitely gonna use that masking tape hemming idea!! I have to hem EVERY pair of pants I get for Madi, then when she grows, I have to throw them out even though the waist would still fit. LOVE the removable tape idea!

Becky said...

HAHAHA

bEN said...

Did you know that both Jack and Zack got tape for Christmas because they love it so much? Maybe you all should work for 3M someday. They have a plant here in KY you know. Hooray for tape! Remember when Peewee Herman taped his nose to his forehead? Classic. I still do that sometimes - it's always good for making Jack and Hannah laugh.

Brianne & Jarod said...

And this is why I LOVE having you as a friend!