Monday, September 20, 2010

I am consistently inconsistent. Does that count?

All of the baby sleep books I've read (which is A LOT) all have a common thread- to be consistent. Makes sense in theory. What do you do with a sick baby though? That's where they all differ-depending on your "parenting style." We have found that generally the tough love approach works best as our little one LOVES to test limits and thinks being told no is a super hilarious game. She will try to get into something dangerous, I move her hand away and say no, she laughs hysterically and trys again. Aahhh the joys. It is sort of funny though, but I just can't tell her that. Anyway, Madison has a cold this week- she always seems to have some sort of minor ailment. Perhaps I should stop letting her lick the bathroom floor at restaurants?? (JOKING!!) Generally when she wakes up in the middle of the night we either don't go in at all, or go in quickly to check on her and it's right back to bed where she eventually cries herself (or jabbers) to sleep. Last night she was just moaning and coughing and it was so sad. It was not time for more medicine and there was not much I could do for her. The moans turned to crying and I totally broke the "rules." I went in and got the BEST snuggles ever! Man does that baby have a good tight hug/grip. We just rocked and sang and cuddled. It was mildly creepy that she was just staring at me- in the dark- with her huge blue eyes. I'm just hoping I haven't undone the progress that we have made, but I think baby snuggles should be allowed to win some of the time!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I am not sorry for the times I broke the "rules" We never ended up being as tough as I thought I was going to be. I however, think it has led to a little girl who is maybe a little more cuddley and fond of her parents than otherwise might have been. Ok by me!