So we were over visiting the Christensen's the other night and I was upstairs with the girls holding Heather's adorable little girl and the boys were supposedly downstairs watching UFC. Robin went downstairs and there were mysteriously no boys. Perhaps they were so inspired by UFC that they had gone outside to box in the streets? No- it was raining. Maybe they went to get some food?? Couldn't be-everyone had already eaten. As these different scenarios were circling in my head, we came to find out that no, they were over at the neighbor's house catching a BOA CONSTRICTOR! Yikes! All I could think of was the Shell Silverstein poem I loved so much when I was little which says, "I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor..." Now what is one to do with a 3+ ft. snake at 9:30 on a Friday night? Call Alex the snake wrangler, of course! The neighbor called the police and they had her call this Alex guy, and he showed up with his bucket, metal snake-catching apparatus thing, and his expertise. This is when I deemed it safe enough to go check this thing out. I learned 3 things that night:#1- Boas are not indigenous to Las Vegas (this one happened to be a red tail tropical something or other.) Whew! It was probably someone's pet.
#2- I still like snakes a whole lot better as boots!
#3- the "snake guy" is actually called a Herpetologist. Who knew?
So that was our exciting evening. I didn't get over my fear of snakes by any means, but I did make leaps and bounds- I even touched the little guy....then jumped off the porch when it looked at me and did the tongue thing. Guess I can't win 'em all!
10 comments:
YIKES! I can't believe there was a snake crawling around in someone's house...ewwww! I LOVE that Shel Silverstein poem...I just forgot that it was written..(what's new right?)
I'm kind of glad I didn't come by. Snakes freak me out! But, you got to see Aurah? I'm jealous!
snakes totally freak me out too! I had a mini panic attack inside, but I was trying to overcome my fear...I didn't. And yes- Aurah was there and she was such a good girl! No crying at all! You should be jealous :) ha ha.
It was so fun to see you guys at my moms. Even if you decided to play with the snake. Always a good time at the christensens... you never know what to expect.
That is so what I love about hanging over there. You just never know what you're gettin. Love it!
do the snakes have large talons?
So, I just want to make sure I read this correctly...the snake guy's scientific name sounds like he has herpes?!?! Cause that's what I got out of this. :) Miss you!
you got herpes out of this?.....maybe I should blog elsewhere. i don't want herpes.
I'm really glad now that I didn't go look at it now. It was REALLY big.
Yes Deya, he said something about herpes, but I wasn't exactly standing close enough to hear much other than his name. Ben, you're safe here- no herpes for you! and Heather, you really missed out! Sorry I took your baby over for protection! ha ha. I figured no one would throw a snake a girl holding a baby, right?
Post a Comment