Tuesday, August 26, 2008

And now they're gone...some of my favorite Olympic moments

Although I didn’t go to China, I am suffering from jet lag for sure…or perhaps it would be more appropriately named “Olympic Lag.” I love watching all of the events, but I suppose I must come to grips with the fact that I’m not in high school anymore…or even college for that matter. I’m an old married lady that has gotten used to lots of sleep! I did my best to stay up every night, but aside from the weekends, I think about midnight was my latest. I did catch a lot of events at work as they were kind enough to keep the t.v. on in our board room. J Some of my favorite moments included:

(most obvious) Michael Phelps winning 8 Gold Medals!! Holy smokes this guy is amazing!! I decided that since Kallen and I will most likely have some tall skinny kids, I’ll start early training them to be Olympians….I’m pretty sure we can breed us some good swimmers.

Women’s gymnastics- the ups and downs, the scandals, the tense moments-I loved it all! What amazing girls!!

Women’s diving-I don’t know if it is just that the Chinese girls are so much smaller and couldn’t make a splash if they cannon-balled off the platform or what, but they were incredible!

Track and field-How about Usain Bolt!? I love how he made the 2 world records he set look completely effortless. It was so much fun to watch and reminded me of my high school days watching and cheering on Michael Johnson when he set the world records. Good times!

Last but not least-I couldn’t get enough of the American volleyball!! Indoor, beach, men, and women-it didn’t matter- they were all phenomenal! I really admire Misty May-Traenor and Kerry Walsh-they have such talent and I am beyond impressed with their winning streak and the amazing shape they are in…kinda gives me a good kick in the bum that these women are OLDER than me and still so incredible. I watched all of the various volleyball teams play and didn’t miss any of the finals. I’m sure Kallen thinks I’m nuts (if he doesn’t already) after hearing me yelling at the t.v. and cheering, etc. I’m sure it looked like a die-hard football fan watching the superbowl (minus the face paint…but maybe next Olympics!)

Anyway-point is that I truly enjoyed the Olympics and I’m glad they’re only every two years (since I also love the winter games) so I can finally get some sleep!

Final Medal Count:

USA-
Gold: 36
Silver: 38
Bronze: 36
TOTAL-110

CHINA-
Gold: 51
Silver: 21
Bronze: 28
TOTAL-100

5 comments:

bEN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bEN said...

Gotten used to sleep??? Perhaps it is time to start making babies. Anyway, there was a debate on ESPN radio recently about whether it is annoying or great that people who don't normally watch sports get so into the Olympics. I think it is great - it gves people who don't normally watch sports something to talk about while carpooling. I am looking forward to the Olympics. When do they start?

Unknown said...

no sleep... I know what you mean! hee hee we're still watching it on DVR.

Big Momma said...

You gotta love that Ben! Remember how he would sit in the green recliner with his American Flag all during the Olympics!! I love you "crasy" kids!

Brianne & Jarod said...

I LOVED all of it too! (I also struggled with staying up late :) Don't ya miss the days of playing sand volleyball???