Thursday, January 31, 2008
Gossip and testimonies...
As I was listening to all the entertainment news and gossip on the radio this morning, and something became glaringly obvious to me. It is somewhat amusing, but mostly just sad. The reporter was going on and on about Heath Ledger’s recent death and all of the scandal and attention that has surrounded the death, funeral, etc. Then I thought how no one mentions our beloved Gordon B. Hinckley on the morning news…it’s because there is no scandal. There is nothing negative to say. He was such a pure and amazing man. I know his passing has made national news, but I’ve heard and seen only positive things. What a tribute to him to NOT make the morning gossip on the radio. It is just one more example of how he led a pious and devoted and scandal-free life! Who knew I could have a little testimony strengthening moment this morning listening to the radio? It just reminded me that we truly are led by living prophets on the earth today, and that I am so blessed to have been able to hear Gordon B. Hinckley speak on so many different occasions, see the wonderful things he has done not only to advance The Church, but also to truly be a prophet for the entire world and to bring good about in other areas. So although it is sad that not everyone had a chance to hear his message or feel of his love, he leaves a legacy of temples “dotting the earth,” countless members with sweet memories and testimonies increased by his faith and example. I will definitely miss seeing him at conferences and feeling his sweet spirit, but I know he must be so happy to be reunited with his wife. May we too all live so we don’t end up on the morning gossip news!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We saw him speak just two weeks ago at our Stake Conference via satalite and he is/was such a great man. I know he's doing great things on the other side already and he's with his loving wife(I wish I could see that reunion).
No wonder I love you, Emily. Thanks for sharing that. Something I hadn't thought of....but then I don't know who Ledger is......xoxoxo
GOOD ONE LADY!! I totally agree with what you said, and had a similiar conversation with Jarod about this exact topic!
Thanks Em! I was feeling the same way a bit but you seemed to put it more eloquently than I. You know that picture I got of Christ's hand that is shaped into an I love you. I got that because of Pres Hinkley. I was singing in a choir in a mtg that he was speaking in. He's just been at an Signlanguage school and turned to us in the choir to show what he had learned. When I saw the picture I know I had to have it as a constant reminder of how our Savior and our Prophet loves us... I don't think words can really express all our thought on him huh
Post a Comment